Employer: Ministry of the Solicitor General
Job #: Q98-SOL-17063
Position title: Deputy Superintendents
Join the Senior Management team at Toronto South Detention Centre!
Toronto South Detention Centre seeks four confident, forward thinking leaders to join the leadership team, and manage the overall administration and operations of the institution. As a Deputy Superintendent of Operations, you will be responsible for the daily operation of the institution and the overall strategic and operational planning activities, including direct oversight of a team of correctional managers and staff. As a Deputy Superintendent of Administration, you will deputize as the senior administrative subordinate to the Superintendent, with commensurate responsibility and accountability for ensuring the effective and efficient operation of a correctional institution. You will supervise functions including the oversight of Operational Managers, offender institutional and local community programs, and institutional support service operations.
Deputy Superintendent, Operations (2 positions)
Classification: M0912C / Salary: $74,066.00 – $111,335.00 per year
Deputy Superintendent, Administration (2 positions)
Classification: M1012C / Salary: $79,720.00 – $118,198.00 per year
What we offer:
Opportunities to make an impact
As a Deputy Superintendent at Toronto South Detention Centre, you will be immersed in a fast-paced, challenging environment, working with a diverse team of correctional staff. You will be pivotal in fostering a culture that is grounded in collaboration and respect, while also driving cultural change with a focus on promoting inclusiveness, diversity and anti-racism strategies to enable continuous institutional improvements. You will utilize your keen ability to coach, mentor and develop staff and colleagues, while establishing a positive workplace culture. These challenging and exciting opportunities will allow you to showcase your superior leadership abilities while making a positive impact on staff, and the delivery of correctional services.
Do you have a passion for learning and seek opportunities for personal and professional growth? Toronto South Detention Centre is the largest detention centre in the province of Ontario. We are a dynamic institution, with a diverse population, vast governmental and community stakeholders, and unique challenges, which provide abundant opportunities for the growth and development of our staff. Through learning and developmental opportunities, including online and in-person training, mentorship programs, employee networks and opportunities for career advancement and specialization, the Toronto South Detention Centre can help you gain valuable skills to grow your career.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Deputy Superintendent, you will make an impact by:
• Providing leadership and direction in the planning and coordination of institutional operations, programs and services
• Participate in the integration of programs within the institution’s security framework
• Assuming responsibility for the administration of the institution in the absence of the Superintendent, and during after-hours and weekends, on a rotational on-call basis
• Developing and implementing strategies to support systemic organizational and cultural changes within the institutions
• Championing organizational change by positively influencing and participating in the establishment of a strong adaptive culture where corporate principles and values are effectively communicated, modelled, taught and shared with clients and staff.
• Being a proactive and innovative leader, motivating your team and colleagues to drive correctional reform
The keys to leadership in the OPS
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) Leadership Behaviours defines what it means to be a leader through the following expected behaviours and attributes:
•You commit to the responsibilities of being a leader by demonstrating authenticity, accountability and courage.
•You lead for the future by embracing positive disruption, maintaining a future mindset and by developing staff everyday
•You are people-centred by leading your team with a common purpose, being inclusive and driving people-centred outcomes.
How do I qualify?
• You have a team-focused leadership style and the ability to oversee the delivery of institutional programs and services
• You can manage staff, provide leadership, coaching and direction, and foster an engaged and inclusive environment
• You act with integrity, even when it is difficult to do so
• You demonstrate expertise and knowledge in human resources management, financial resources management, performance management, training and development and complex labour relations issues
Analytical, Problem Solving and Strategic Planning Skills
•You are able to identify contentious or sensitive program delivery issues and develop strategic approaches for issues resolution
• You can apply a systematic approach in the development of complex work plans to achieve organizational goals
• You can use evidence-based approach for investigations
• You can manage challenging workloads, priorities and stressors, while exercising good judgment, responding calmly and rationally to defuse high tension situations Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You are a skilled communicator with the ability to foster trusted work relationships with stakeholders and staff at all levels
• You have consultation skills to represent the institution in negotiations, building coalitions and partnerships with key stakeholders
• You can write and articulate complex, technical and/or specialized information in terms that are easily understood by a variety of audiences Correctional Knowledge
• You have the ability to obtain and develop knowledge of the current theories, principles and practices of correctional institutions management, finance and administration, including knowledge of human behaviour, and relevant policies and legislation in order to provide the care, custody, control, safety, programming and accommodation needs of offenders
3 Permanent – Full Time, 160 Horner Ave, Etobicoke, Toronto Region, Vulnerable Sector Check.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers , quoting Job ID 150910, by Thursday, July 9, 2020. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.